Rice with Potatoes and Mussel (Tiella)
Recipe Type: Rice
- 1.5 kilograms of White potatoes
- 500 grams of Blue mussels
- 100 grams of Carnaroli rice
- 1 Onions
- 1 Tomatoes, San Marzano
- 50 grams of Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- 50 grams of Dry bread crumbs
- 1 pinch of Parsley
- 1dash of Table salt
- 1 dash of White pepper
- Peel the potatoes, cut them into slices about 0.5 cm thick, and put them in a basin filled with salted water. After soaking them for about ten minutes, drain them and put them back in the same basin with olive oil, a sprinkle of bread crumbs, a dusting of grated Parmigiano Reggiano, and a dash of pepper. Meanwhile clean the mussels thoroughly and open them, discarding one of the valves, and setting aside their liquid.
- Grease the bottom of a baking dish with oil, then cover with a layer of sliced potatoes. Add a layer of onions sliced very thin, some cubed tomatoes, the mussels, and the rice (making sure the grains settle into the mussels’ shells), and sprinkle with the bread crumbs, grated parmesan, chopped parsley, and white pepper; finish with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Cover with a second layer of potatoes and sprinkle with grated parmesan and breadcrumbs. Pour about half a litre of water along the perimeter of the baking tray and move it about so that the water settles on the bottom.
- Cover the tray with aluminum foil and bake in a pre-heated oven to 200°C for about half an hour. Remove the aluminum foil and bake for another 15 minutes. Allow it to cool, then portion it out and serve it.