The Christmas traditions in Trentino are so deepened in the local culture that each year attract million turists. In Trentino the most awaited feast of the year, Christmas, has the flavor of tradition and central European alpine culture. The historical centers becomes full of lights, colors, scents and melodies of the Christmas markets stalls and their characteristics. In homage to the alpine tradition, the banquets of exhibitors have become overflowing wooden houses of gifts, sweets and spices tradition.
The Christmas calendar
In these areas it is tradition for children to receive a special calendar for the month of December; every day children in the morning open one of the windows of the calendar and find a gift.
In the most traditional form behind every window there was a design or image linked to Advent up to the Nativity. Today calendars can even hide behind the windows sweets, chocolates or candies.
As in Germany, even in Trentino on December the 6 th. Sankt Nikolaus visits the cities, towns and homes to bring sweets and gifts to good children.
The tradition of the EVE
Once upon a time, in South Tyrol, the night of Christmas Eve people went to Mass later in the evening to celebrate the Nativity. Even today this ritual is repeated in all the parishes with very intense religious services, called “Christmette”.
In many places at the end of the harvest it takes place in a particular wind instruments gig, as the players go on the bell towers of churches and from there the sounds of Christmas melodies spread in the night.
On the table
A decorated table on Christmas in Trentino cannot miss:
- Dumplings (balls of stale bread, ham, bacon and salami, flour, eggs, milk and broth seasoned with spinach, porcini mushrooms or veal liver may be flavored, once boiled, even with melted butter and cheese or meat sauce) ;
- Strangolapreti (dumplings of bread, milk, eggs and leaves coast) served with butter, sage and parmesan;
- Deer or kid with potatoes;
- For dessert the Strüdel and Zelten.
- To try some flavors of Trentino let us see a typical recipe
TIROLESE KID WITH POTATOES
Ingredients for two:
1/2 kg kid
1 teaspoon chopped parsley
3-4 sprigs rosemary
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
4. potatoes, salt and pepper.
Clean out the kid from any parts of fat. Cut it into pieces. Place them in a large bowl. Drizzle with white wine. Let marinate for about 30 minutes. Peeled and chopped potatoes. Remove the kid from wine. Rinse. Place it in a baking pan. Season with oil. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Add in the rosemary. Stir the pieces so that on flavor. Cover with crushed tomatoes. Season with a little oil. Sprinkle with parsley. Bake at 200 ° C. turning occasionally. Heat in a pan a little oil. Fry a small clove of garlic and rosemary. Pour the potatoes and cook. Lift halfway through cooking. Drain them from oil. Add them to the kid before it’s cooked. Wet occasionally with the sauce. Finish cooking of both. Serve steaming.
Glühwein – RECIPE FOR VIN BRULÉ
Gluehwein is a German/Austrian winter-holiday drink that most tourists know as an after-ski drink. After you come in out of the snow, it is supposed to make you glow with warmth again. Watch it: Since you drink this wine warm, the alcohol goes to your head extra quick! Drink when you really have come in, and do not have to go out again! This is the one my father used to make for New Year’s Eve.”
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 orange
- 10 whole cloves
- 1 (750 milliliter) bottle red wine
- Combine water, sugar, and cinnamon stick In a saucepan. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer.
- Cut half the orange, and squeeze the juice into the simmering water. Push the cloves into the outside of the orange peel, and place peel in the simmering water. Continue simmering for 30 minutes, until it is thick and syrupy.
- Pour in the wine, and heat until steaming but not simmering. Remove the clove-studded orange halves. Serve hot in mugs or glasses that have been preheated in warm water (cold glasses will break.)
EVENTS IN TRENTINO
See the list of the Christmas Market in trentino:
and enjoy your Christmas!!